Saturday, February 25, 2006

'Challenge' Upate

I'm regretting it already. Although it is fun, in a masochistic kind of way.

(Very) basic outlining yesterday coupled with a few viewings of similar films of its type, namely Underworld, Blade (Trinity) and Van Helsing. Maybe Van Helsing wasn't the best reference to use...

Underworld wasn't as bad as I had expected. It had some interesting elements to its characters & story, and you could see what it was trying to do, and the actors managed to pull it off, just.

Blade Trinity was a lot of fun for action, not so much on plot, and the latter half of the story kind of dwindled away into nothing. Still, it was the pick of the bunch.

And so, my horror-scifi-action-thriller has begun. I'm trying not to stop as I write but writing with gay abandon is a new experience, and I'm only just getting into the swing of it.

I'm on page 32. I thought I'd get drunk tonight and plough my way through twenty more pages but I've had my drinks and am now too tired, so I'm going to bed.

If I have 80 pages by Sunday night I'll be pleased but I still hold out for a complete 'rough draft' by then too.

Peace.

8 comments:

Fran said...

Should've had that steak, Danny.

Fran

James Moran said...

Yeah, Underworld's not bad, pretty good fun actually. I'd skip the sequel, though. Blade Trinity's the worst of the trilogy, the first is great fun. Oh, and you're a mad bastard. I'm drunk too (Sat night) but I don't have 32 pages of anything, so you're on a winner already. Keep going, break through the pain barrier...

Anonymous said...

I once knocked out an 89 page script in 4 and a half days - 26 pages on the first day ( the best/easiest) then gradually less after that. 3rd day was the worst.
I was only leaving the computer to pee. Didn't worry about formatting or typos (only the outrageously indecipherable ones) until the end. I was in a zen writing state, much of the time - ha!
Now I guess I'll have to wait til my 3 year old daughter has left home before I get to try again..

Lucy said...

I wrote a first draft in a week recently - a romantic comedy. Needless to say, due to my obsession with horror, it came out rather skewed. Scott The Reader has just finished tearing it apart. He is a god on the analysis front.

Was disappointed by Underworld story-wise. Looked cool though and GREAT idea, loved the concept of vampires vs. werewolves. It's like a mad analogy of my marriage. I have the teeth and he has the hair.

Piers said...

Jeez, man. I thought a first draft in two months was a challenging target. (OK, that was evenings & weekends only, but still...)

Can't wait to hear what you've come up with :)

Piers said...

Jeez, man. I thought a first draft in two months was a challenging target. (OK, that was evenings & weekends only, but still...)

Can't wait to hear what you've come up with :)

Monkeywhalefreak said...

I was asked to re-write a horror film last year. Four drafts in three weeks on top of a full-time office job. My eyes bled.

I feel your pain.

screamwriter said...

Have you seen "Hellboy"?