Thursday, May 25, 2006

Films baby

Day 4

Only one meeting today which meant I could actually go and watch some films. In Cannes, it's quite common to walk out of screenings 10/15 minutes if it's not to your liking and unfortunately I've done that with two UK low budget flicks. I won't mention names. But they are awful.

By the way - big shout out to James - the buzz on the Croisette is that Severance kicks ass and everyone's talking about it. Rock.

Anyway, I did see Sherry Baby, the new film with Maggie Gyllenhaal who acts her pants off, sometimes quite literally. Very indie Sundance but very good, especially in comparison with the godawful rubbish we walked out of before hand.

After getting too much sun, I tried to watch Material Girls, the new flick with the American Duff sisters but even though I had read the script a couple of years ago, I couldn't sit through more than 20 minutes of it... Perhaps it's down to Cannes cynicism. Like, what-ever dude.

Typing this in the American Pavilion where it's karaoke night. Some film intern is trying to sing Jack & Diane. Poor bastard. You sing it man. Yeah.

2 comments:

Dom Carver said...

Go on, Danny, name names, it'll save us all a few quid in the long run.

James Moran said...

It's practically rude *not* to walk out of several movies in Cannes, apparently. While smoking. And shrugging. I suspect I know what one of those low budgeters is, but I daren't make a guess.

Maggie Gyllenhaal sans pants = me in cinema sans pants. Again.