Tuesday, August 15, 2006

What's on your desk?

I’ve been in my new house since December and the small spare room has been transformed into my office. My better half and her mother painted it while I was away ‘on business’ (nice one Danny), and it’s been arranged into a workable area for a computer, printer and various files.

On Sunday, I bought two plants; an African Violet for the windowsill and a Dracaena for the office-table. Nice. Still, I’m a bit disorganised and haven’t yet fully arranged the office into a presentable and efficient cubicle. It’s been a job ‘I’ll do tomorrow’ for the last six months.

As a result, here is what’s on my desk at the moment:

- All of the business cards of the people I met in Cannes.
- My lovely Tate Diary pocket diary.
- A scribbled piece of A4 paper that’s used for random notes, reminders, passwords etc.
- A calculator.
- A mini-stapler.
- A desk lamp.
- A digital camera.
- Learn Italian CD-Rom which “I’ll do tomorrow”.
- A couple of CDs that contain multiple episodes of The Amazing Adrenalinis which includes my episode ‘Actors of Infamy!’ (thanks Pesky for sending it through).

It’s a bit of a mess to be honest. It’s not unsightly but sadly disorganised and left to fester without any great motivation to clear it up. I’ll start tomorrow. Really.

The blog’s a year old now, since 12th August. This time last year, I was putting the finishing touches on my short film and still unsure whether to venture into the world of blogging. I’m so glad I did. It’s been great; a necessary and proactive distraction, and I’ve met lots of new friends and colleagues. Cool.

Also, if you have fifteen minutes, check out Sam Morrison’s latest animation short - Rocket Science! - in the Watch section of his website. It’s a black and white spoof of 1950s noir and B movies. It’s great. Sam made it himself, no funding from anywhere, so it took a while from his small studio in Bristol. His star will shine bright, oh yes.

Plus, if you fancy writing for River City, BBC Scotland’s flagship soap, then check out Vicious Imagery’s report about writing for the show that was held at the Edinburgh Filmhouse.

---

AND, if you didn't know already, top blogger and hot new talent James Moran has his debut film coming out on the 25th August. SEVERANCE. Wicked, go see it. But if you're in London on Thursday 24th August, at 6.30pm, and fancy seeing the PREMIERE with a FrightFest audience - and a Q&A with director (Chris Smith), writer (James) and the cast (loads) - then click on down to either FrightFest or Odeon's website (Tel: 0871 22 44 007). It's all on James's blog anyway, which everyone should be reading regularly as he's crossed that line, got his first film made, broken the stereotype, fulfilled the dream, living the moment... I'll shut up.

14 comments:

Lucy said...

So what's on my desk, let's see...

A stapler. A hole puncher (natch). My makeup bag. 2 hairbrushes. A piggy bank with no moolah in (also natch). A cheque book (for the account with no money in - argh). Lots of bits of paper with swear words on (that's for signalling at people that I'm busy). A couple of letters from my accountant. A fairy statue and weirdly, some lights in the shape of Lilies that I haven't put up yet.

Oh yeah, and the PC.

Makes it sound like I have the biggest JR Ewing style desk in the world. Sadly I don't. It's held up by the phone book and the bible. Sorry God.

Mystic Twiglet said...

The writers Handbook 2004 (can't afford to update it), a stone bird with a broken neck, lots of bits of paper, a tin full of pens that don't work -aggh! 'Cinnamon Kiss' by Walter Mosley (unread), 'Gem Squash Tokoloshe' (half-read)PC and a Mac, Nikon scanner (husb's) printer, loose CDs, cuttings including pic of the armchair I want to buy someday..

oh and a thin layer of dust on top of everything....

shammois said...

Aside from my computer: phone, mug of pens (with rubber bands wrapped on exterior of mug), chequebook, VAT return, tub of tiger balm, other phone, Parry's property review, mug of festering tea, banjo folder, and unidentifiable lead that does something or other.

Thanks for the link Danny.

Lucy said...

What's the tiger balm for? Have you got a pet one with a sore knee?? Do tell!

James Moran said...

I don't have a desk. There's a small dining table in the corner of the living room, sometimes I use that. And sometimes I sit on the sofa, using the coffee table, or sitting back with the laptop on my lap. I need a desk and a proper chair. And an extra room.

Wyndham said...

Just a quick note to say thanks for the blog, Danny, it's proved very useful to me. Keep up the good work.

Danny Stack said...

That's great Wyndham, thanks. If you have any success stories because of tips from the blog, or not, don't be shy to share...

Anonymous said...

Small spare room? I am presuming there is massive guest bedroom with gold curtains for well, guests, like me?

Berns xx

Danny Stack said...

Fear not, Bernie-child, a lavish (and redecorated) bedroom awaits your arrival...

Anonymous said...

Phew! Keep me in the manner I am accustomed, that's what I say. I watched Rocket Science and thought it was great. My favourite bit was 'Don't scream' and the look Patricia gives Jack. Brilliant!

Berns

Sam Morrison said...

Tiger balm is for my forever tight hamstrings. Berns, glad you liked Rocket Science. Please pass the good tidings on to your high-powered producer friends.

Chris (UK Scriptwriter) said...

We are having a baby in 9 weeks and I will loose my spare room. No office for me ;(

ked said...

Just discovered your blog yesterday while struggling to write a premise for a script I am editing. Thought it would really help my concentration to play on the wwweb rather than try harder to write the premise for a confused script .... Anyway, loving your blog and good to hear from other people out there in script editing land, will be regulary checking your page when the block hits me and I need (useful) distraction.
x

Tim Clague said...

I still say your monitor is too small though. Super size it Dannster!