Friday, July 20, 2007

Red Planet Update

Well, most of you will be aware that the Red Planet Prize now accepts more than one entry but, like the website says, “quantity is no guarantee of success”, so don’t freak out and send your entire portfolio. Choose your best script or scripts; don’t send lots of material in with a ‘what the hell, it’s free’ attitude.

Robin Kelly has been charting a sensible and practical approach to the opportunity over at his blog, which makes good reading: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4 and Part 5. It leaves me, frankly, with not much to add, except maybe to encourage people to check out the links to old posts on the right. I know there’s a lot of stuff on the sidebar but it’s pretty easy to navigate, especially with the ‘Labels’ and the ‘Story Vault’ section, so you should be able to find something of use to you, whether or not it’s for Red Planet preparation.

If anything else, you can just stare at the Red Planet countdown widget on the right, and hypnotise yourself into a catatonic stupor as the deadline fast approaches. Which is still the 1st September. Nice.

11 comments:

Far said...

wot widget?

Anonymous said...

Ok now I see it

Phill Barron said...

I went through my few remaining specs last night. All the exciting stuff happens on page 11.

Balls, no Red Planet for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi, is it still possible to enter the competition if you already have an agent? Cheers.

Piers said...

41 days 9 hours 7 minutes and 12 seconds?

That's plenty of time to leave it all till the last minute then.

Danny Stack said...

Anon: as far as I know, yes.

Stuart Perry said...

Cheers for the info, Danny. The decision about what to send is still taxing me, but at least I can watch my life tick away while I choose ;-)

And belated thanks for all your Cheltenham posts - it's taken me two weeks to catch up on everyone's thoughts and material from the festival, but now I feel like I was there for all four days.

James said...

Hi Danny. Thanks for all the excellent posts - I've been a blog 'lurker' for a while. Quick Red Planet question: can two people enter a jointly-authored screenplay or is this for sole writers only? Cheers.

Danny Stack said...

Yep, writing teams are fine...

James said...

Thanks for that Danny

Anonymous said...

I have a technical question, as I am not too computer literate, in attaching the 10 pages of script. I tried to create a word document and of course the format is all screwy and must be conformed line by line. Is it possible to send it in Final Draft? Can one assume they will be able to open it? The format is also not possible when you cut and paste it into an email. Any suggestions?