Thursday, August 16, 2007

Re-Direct

This blog started around this time two years ago, and the intention was to share screenwriting news, opportunities, insights into the spec pile (through my work as a reader) and bits and pieces on how my own writing career was shaping up. Basically, I wanted to focus on what I thought other bloggers and websites weren't talking about, and offer a fresh and honest view of what it's really like trying to get ahead.

Nowadays, there's a wealth of scriboblogs who cover all of the above, and do it with great style, insight and entertainment. A while ago, I stopped sharing any opportunities that cropped up because Lianne and a few others started to do it far more efficiently. I subscribe to a lot of screenwriting blogs, and we share the same information and insight, which is great, but also makes me think: geez, how much advice on the same subject do we have to go over and over and over, and people still don't get it? And I begin to wonder if I should re-shape and re-direct this blog into something else. Keep on topic with screenwriting, obviously (hey, I don't have a life), but try to jazz it up a little so that it's a bit more interesting and original.

As writing gigs pick up with more regularity, my script reading status is practically down to zero, so maybe I should ditch that angle on the blog, and leave that to others to cover (whilst still touching base on certain subjects as I go). Lucy, Robin, Jason, James, Piers and a good handful of other bloggers have been doing great stuff recently, so there's no need to double up on the same info. (Robin's recent series on how to approach the Red Planet Prize is brilliant; you should really check it out if you plan to enter the comp, although not long to go now!). Another cool blog has hit the screens, this time from me good chum Philip Palmer and his Debatable Spaces. He's got a good post about why he loves Buffy so much so check it out if you're interested.

So, perhaps some changes ahead. A new name for the blog? Maybe. Fewer posts? Probably. But I'll still be here. For me, this blog has been a great source of networking and meeting cool new writers, despite one or two weirdos (yeah, you), so I'm not gonna give it up, just take a bit of a sidestep as other blogs lead the way.

The Red Planet Prize and other work is going to keep me busy for a while but I'll stick my head up from my bunker when I get a moment to breathe. Right then. Let's keep the magic flowing...

12 comments:

Oli said...

Check it out. I have a subscriber.

Don't take too big a sidestep, now.

Sheikspear said...

Good luck with the new stuff, Danny, look forward to the jazzed up blog/bunker note when you have the time. Thanks for all the info,advice and insights...we'll still have the archives, and as you say all the other top bloggers...though the king has left the scribosphere

potdoll said...

ooh give phillip palmer a super big sucker kiss from me when you see him.

glad you're still going to be around, and that you're busy with writing work. quite right.

Lucy said...

You give up on this blogging lark matey and you'll have me to answer to, especially now we're going to practically be neighbours... Hunting you down will be easy.

Threats aside, I reckon you should give us an inside view of The Red Planet prize (after it's judged, of course and the winner's picked) - a contest blog, if you like. Never seen one of those before.

Lucy said...

P.S Oh yeah - thanks for the plug as well, got caught up in the whole threats thing.

P.P.S Note to Potdoll - stop kissing strange cyber men, don't you know boys have cooties???

Danny Stack said...

I'm not shutting down the blog, nor am I going on hiatus. I just won't be posting as regular, so it's taking a slightly new direction and routine.

Lucy said...

I stand corrected sir ; )

Robin Kelly said...

Thanks for the kind words, Danny, and I look forward to seeing what you have planned.

far away said...

hmmmm

sam morrison said...

Danny, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm so pleased you're too busy to blog. Your 'too busy' status is long overdue and the work couldn't be going to a nicer, more talented, generous and benevolent chap. (Except me).

Danny Stack said...

cheers, sam. your fiver's in the post...

Jason Arnopp said...

You say you're neither shutting down the blog, nor going on hiatus. Then why do I feel like Daddy's just sat me down and gently told me he's going away for a bit?

Sorry: "Danny". I meant to say "Danny"...