Monday, April 07, 2008


Ha! In my daily surf of the Media Guardian, I noticed there's a review of Sofia's Diary by Jaci Stephen (free reg required, I think), and she does a good job of why I think critics are a bit useless sometimes. I have nothing against what she says in the article, and it's perfectly well-written (I particularly like when she says that Sofia couldn't blow up a balloon let alone her chemistry lab), but not once is there a mention of the interactive element of the drama (where the viewers get to choose the course of action), which I think is fairly shoddy especially when she criticises one particular bit of the story that was actually chosen by the viewers.

Anyway, Ms Stephen goes on to say: "What it lacks in plot, Sofia's Diary makes up for in some impressive external scenes". I'm not sure what that means. External scenes are part of the plot, or does she mean just pretty external scenes to look at? Like, whatevs, lol, etc.

Meanwhile, over at Broadcast (free reg required), they report that Sofia's Diary has attracted more than 5m views in its first two weeks! Don't know how they russle up internet figures but that sounds quite impressive to me. Hurrah!


Lucy said...

What I particularly love is everyone is a critic these days. They'll actually write to writers and say, "It should have been like this". And you can do better, HMMMMM?

Mind you I can talk - I've just reviewed Notes On A Scandal, book into film!!!!

Way I see it, have an opinion, don't get personal, back up your reasoning with thoughtful reasons WHY ie. not "I don't like this because it's total cak". What use is that? End of the day, if you don't like something, don't talk about it - that's far worse than a bad review any day of the week. No such thing as bad publicity as they say!

Kevin Lehane said...

That is damn impressive, Danny. Congratulations on the success.

By the way, I have tagged you for a meme (if that's not too rude).

Danny Stack said...

Oooh, I've done that one, here.

Kevin Lehane said...

I guessed as much. (Rushes to read.)

Lisa said...

I saw the piece on Broadcast, well done but as for Ms Stephens, I always got the impression that it's not necessarily about your work but about how smart she sounds.