Giving it to you straight since August 2005. As of November 2013, everything's moved over to http:///www.dannystack.com/blog
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Screenwriting Talks & Events
Brighton's Lighthouse has, as ever, an interesting line-up of talks and courses over the next couple of months. These include:
Breaking into Television, Tuesday 26 January 2010
Lighthouse, 28 Kensington St, Brighton BN1 4AJ
Entry: £3.50/£3 concs.
To book tickets, click here.
Have you got a cracking drama series concept but aren‘t sure of the first steps to get your idea realised?
Come and join writer Philip Palmer in conversation with BBC Commissioning Editor Esther Springer as they discuss:
• Getting the material right - what makes a great TV drama?
• How to filter your ideas, write to best effect and improve your chances of getting a hearing.
• Is it possible to second guess the market?
• Should you write the whole series or just a treatment?
• Polishing your work and knowing when it is ready to be presented
• Agents – are you dead in the water without one?
• The screenplay is ready – now what?
• Who should you approach - and how?
• Etiquette and unwritten rules of engagement
• BBC or commercial networks … and who else is out there?
• Writer as salesman – what ‘products’ do you need to help sell your product and yourself?
• Someone is interested. What happens now……?
Listen to experienced voices as they discuss the journey from two viewpoints. For more information about the event and panellists, click here.
Other upcoming events include Speed Dating for Filmmakers, Under the Skin of the Horror Genre, Multiplatform Training for TV and Media Professionals, and Further Steps in Screenwriting. Check out Lighthouse's website for all the relevant details.
Across the pond, there's a new Screenwriters & Filmmakers Expo taking place March 26, 27, 28, 2010 at the Silverado Resort in Napa, California. The expo includes 2 days of classes and presentations from industry leaders such as Paul Walker, Oscar-winning screenwriter Bobby Moresco (Crash, Million Dollar Baby), Dave Trottier (author "The Screenwriters Bible"), and many more. Expo also includes 1 day of audition classes and pitching projects to Hollywood agents, producers, and studio executives. For the full rundown check out the website.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for mentioning the Lighthouse gig Danny!
I've done quite a bit of stuff for Lighthouse in Brighton...I've run several TV courses for them - creating a drama series from scratch - and one of my former students (Sarah Swords) has just got a UKFC commission, and another (Emilia di Girolamo) has an ep of Law and Order coming out on the 18th Jan.
Esther came along to several sessions on the last course; she's one of the nicest and smartest and most knowledgeable TV script execs in the biz...
Post a Comment