Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Work Update

It's been a busy start to 2012 with a fair bit of work and activity going on.

In January, CiTV's new animation Fleabag Monkeyface (CiTV's first UK commission in five years) started, and a few of my episodes were broadcast (I wrote six in total). The series is bonkers gross-out fun (equally bonkers & fun to write!), and has done well viewing figure-wise, as far as I know. I wrote my scripts last year so they're still in production with the latter half of the show's 52 episode run.

To add to my New Year excitement, I was lucky to get a couple of commissions on the second series of the Octonauts for CBeebies, as well as develop a few children TV pilots for a variety of industry folk.

My new short film, After School Club (link to the production blog) went into post-production (after a day's shoot right before Christmas), and we finished that off this week, so it's ready to go. It's a 5' comedy written by Nell Denton, with only one word of dialogue. Really good fun! Last year, I wrote a short film for director Adrian Tanner called Trading Licks  - starring Roger Allam & Justin Edwards -  and that's just started to hit the festival circuit; London Short Film Festival, Bradford & Newport so far, I think.

Tim Clague and I continue to do the monthly UK Scriptwriters podcast and we came 2nd in the European Podcast Award in March (UK Personality section), which we were really thrilled about! Even more amazing, Origin, my supernatural short, won Best Horror Short at this year's London Independent Film Festival, wahey!

I did a few talks and workshops (at schools and universities) but most notably at Prequel to Cannes, Southern Script Fest and Mannin Shorts in the Isle of Man. The Red Planet Prize went into full swing, and we're now down to the third round (I help coordinate the competition, for those who don't know).

In addition, I've been doing my usual script reading/editing on various independent projects. However, my script reading tray is looking fairly clear at the moment, so if anyone would like professional feedback on their scripts, then drop me an email. Full rates/experience here.

It's funny (funny weird, not funny haha): the busier you get, the more slack you feel in certain downtimes. 2012 has whizzed by so far but there's so much that I want to do, and think I should be doing. Bring it on!


Anonymous said...

My nephew loves octonauts. watches them back to back.

Danny Stack said...

Cheers, Anon! It's such a cool show. Great storytelling and action-packed.