Monday, August 20, 2012

Tax Expenses for Screenwriters

I've blogged about this before, but it's probably worth re-posting the list of things that screenwriters can claim tax against (if you're a self-employed/sole trader/freelancer person).

Expenses for Screenwriters:
Rechargeable expenses
Agent’s commission
Office/studio overheads (even rehearsal room hire)
Repairs/renewals of equipment
Computer costs
Scripts/books/trade journals (incl subscriptions)
Telephone (75%)
Mobile phone
Internet services
Motor expenses (75%)
Hire purchase interest on car (75%)
Bad debts (is there a “good debt?”)
Bank interest/charges
CDs/DVDs/tapes (50% or more)
Theatre/film/exhibition tickets
Television licence/rental (50%)
VCR rental (um, VCR? What are we, in the 20th century?!)

Here's a link to another tax-related post:
In the Money (what to do when you start the screenwriting freelance life)


Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Danny, really useful. I've still got to do my first tax return as a self-employed writer and have kept every receipt. very glad I have.

Danny Stack said...

Ah, the joys of filling out a tax return...!

Shai said...

This is just what I've been looking for! I'm guessing if your bedroom is your office that you can't put overheads, heating and new desks as expenses?

Danny Stack said...

Some of it, yes. A new office desk, certainly. Internet, mobile phone, etc. For office 'rent', it can get into murky areas, especially if you sell your home (and make a profit, so should some of that be taxable on business etc), so don't take the pee and you should be OK!